[AI] Sony pacts with Star for ticket-booking, banking on mobiles

harish kotian hpkotian at rbi.org.in
Tue Sep 11 00:55:50 EDT 2007

This is a posting from one of our member.
Harish.

The Hindu News Update Service
News Update Service
Monday, September 10, 2007 : 0245 Hrs
Business
Sony pacts with Star for ticket-booking, banking on mobiles
New Delhi, Sept. 10 (PTI): Sony Ericsson mobile users will soon be able to book their travel tickets and access various banking services through cell phones,
as the company plans to roll out handsets equipped with a new application in partnership with media and entertainment firm Star India.
'Plus', the new application developed by Star, would be pre-embedded in Sony's mobile phones such as Walkman and Cybershot series. It would also allow users
to download music and video files and watch TV content on their mobile phones, Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications India General Manager Sudhin Mathur
told PTI.
"For the first month, the service will be totally free. However, after that, users would be charged according to the usage," he said.
Mathur said users would be able to book their travel tickets through websites like Make My Trip, Travelguru and Yatra, and undertake mobile banking services
with HDFC Bank.
He said even the existing users of Sony's mobile phones would be able to download the application by sending an SMS.
The company has already tied up with service providers including Hutch, BSNL, MTNL, Spice and Idea. A partnership with Airtel would also be announced shortly,
he added.
Plus would currently show four channels of Star -- Star Plus, Channel V, Star One and Star Vijay.
"By the end of this month, we will announce a partnership with third party channels for incorporating their content in the application," Star Mobile Entertainment