[AI] Banks-Volunteers

Rajesh Asudani rajeshasudani at rbi.org.in
Fri Sep 7 07:05:38 EDT 2007

The points are well-taken.

However, I was talking about the measures of "extreme independence" only,
like deliberately crossing a hyper-busy road alone, or in this case,
attempting to operate an ATM without any feedback merely by memorizing
sequence.

Remember, memory is a dangerous master, and it does not take a hundred
accidents......

I am not against independent living, and even measures of extreme
independence have to be adopted, but as a way of last resort and not as
preferred choices, as they do involve an undeniable amount of risk.

Imagine, an ATM card being stuck in the machine, or machine giving a slip
with wrong balance, or being hit by a speeding vehicle, then, trust or not,
a lonely blind person will have to call out to every tom dic and Harry!

Regards

Rajesh