[AI] Banks-Volunteers

Rajesh Asudani rajeshasudani at rbi.org.in
Fri Sep 7 00:58:36 EDT 2007

Yes, that's what option 2 in my mail says!

It may be done, once a blind person has memorized particular sequence of a
bank's ATM machine.

But my point is:

what is the problem in case a blind person employs option 1, i.e. seeks
assistance from trusted person for operating ATM?,  after all, he/she would
have to request any trusted person to fill in the withdrawal slip if he/she
does not have ATM and goes to branch for withdrawal.

Moreover, no bank takes any responsibility for any misuse of ATM of anybody,
so where does blindness figure?

Thirdly, practically demonstrating to bigwigs is not problem at all in
practice,

but do you not think it is an affront on our dignity and an indication of
poor capability on their part to think abstractly?

It is a matter of principle.

I have, many times, operated my ATM successfully alone without any
assistance merely by memorizing the sequence of options/menus, but will in
no case, go and demonstrate merely because an arm-chair philosopher wants me
to proove to him/her that I can do so!

Moreover, such a modality of operation ought to be adopted when there is
absolutely nobody to assist or anybody whom you could trust, for in case of
a slightest lapse in memory or any defect in machine, a blind person would
get stuck and would have to necessarily seek the assistance of a
person-trustworthy or not.

Let those who would demonstrate do so. I think time has come for more
drastic measures!

Rajesh