[AI] Banks-Volunteers

Rajesh Asudani rajeshasudani at rbi.org.in
Thu Sep 6 05:44:29 EDT 2007

Well, the blind person may operate ATM machines in any one of the following
ways:

1. Simplest and by far the most common way is to take assistance of one's
trusted sighted person;
2. By remembering the exact sequence of options/menus after being told once
by anybody;
3. By listening to talking menus/options, in case it is provided;
4. touch screen machines without talking features, not operable, but
manageable with assistance of one's trusted partner.

It would be unfair to usher in a blind volunteer in a new ATM booth, not
having talking features, without acquainting her/him with sequence of
menus/options, and concluding that she/he can not operate ATM.

I can comprehend no issue in allowing a blind person use ATM in any manner
1, or 2, above, she/he wishes, even if banks may not be compelled at this
juncture to install talking once. They may, inn all fairness, be compelled
to install at least one talking ATM machine in a wide area, or by any count,
not to universalize touch screens.

We must convince bigwigs that no bank takes responsibility for any misuse of
ATM of any customer, so blindness is immaterial.
Showing them practically how blind may use ATM, either by remembering or by
assistance from one's trusted partner, or by listening to talking prompting,
is tantamount to a move when women were, in the beginning, asked to furnish
a medical certificate about their fitness to operate a typewriter!!!!!!!
Oh, god! Where has the intellect and abstract thinking vanished!!!!!!

Rajesh