[AI] Shameful incident.

Col. Pradeep Kapoor vbfoundation at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 11:15:41 EDT 2007

Dear Friends,
       We have been working on this aspect since last year. The basic
issue is that International regulations specify that the airline staff
is empowered to use their discretion in insisting on safety on board a
flight, during an emergency. The staff often use this clause to insist
on an escort or deny a blind person access to the aircraft. My
arguments that they are fully able to care for themselves even in an
emergency are quickly shot down. However, we found a weakness which
can be exploited.
      An elderly person, one suffering from an injury like a broken
leg or a pregnant lady are all allowed to board without escorts. So
either they apply the same thumb rule or else they should permit a
visually challenged person.
        I hope this is of some help. This NGO has been interacting
with DGCA Officials who have kept the Air regulations book open while
discussing the matter.
          with best wishes
          yours sincerely
          Col P Kapoor
          General Secy, Volunteers for the Blind Foundation