[AI] File Sharing

Prashant Naik pranaik at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 02:36:28 EDT 2007

Get started using Remote Desktop with Windows XP Professional

Remote Desktop, included with Windows XP Professional, enables you to
connect to your computer across the Internet from virtually any computer,
Pocket PC, or Smartphone. Once connected, Remote Desktop gives you mouse and
keyboard control over your computer while showing you everything that's
happening on the screen. With Remote Desktop, you can leave your computer at
the office without losing access to your files, applications, and e-mail.
Your sales force will be able to access the latest pricing sheet from on the
road by using Remote Desktop in Windows XP Professional.

To use Remote Desktop

 Connect your remote computer to the host computer

To use Remote Desktop

With Remote Desktop, you can connect to your work computer from home and
access all of your programs, files, and network resources as though you were
actually sitting in front of your computer at work.

You need three things to create a remote location:

1.

 Microsoft Windows XP Professional must be installed on the computer
containing the files and programs that you want to access from a remote
computer. The computer must also be part of a corporate network in which
Remote Desktop connections are permitted. This computer is known as the
host.

2.

 The remote computer must be running Windows 95 or later. This computer must
also have the Remote Desktop Connection client software installed. The
remote computer is known as the client.

3.

 Both computers must be connected to the Internet through a VPN connection.

Note: If you're not connecting to the host computer through a VPN, you'll
need to use the actual IP address of the host computer instead of the
computer name.

To set up the Remote Desktop, start with the host computer, which in this
example is your work computer.

1.

 Verify that you are signed in as the administrator.

2.

 Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and
Maintenance.

3.

 Click System.

4.

 Click the Remote tab, select the Allow users to connect remotely to this
computer check box, and then click OK.

Next, make sure you have Windows Firewall set up to allow exceptions.

1.

 In the Control Panel, click Security Center.

2.

 Under Manage security settings for, click Windows Firewall.

3.

 Make sure the Don't allow exceptions check box is not selected.

4.

 Click the Exceptions tab, and verify that the Remote Desktop check box is
selected.

5.

 Click OK, and then close the Windows Security Center window.

Your host computer is now set up to allow remote access.

You will need the name of the host computer.

6.

 In Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and then
click the Computer Name tab.

7.

 Write down the full computer name, and then click OK.

8.

 Close Control Panel.

9.

 Leave this computer running, locked, and connected to the corporate network
with Internet access.

Connect your remote computer to the host computer

To connect your home computer, which is the client (or remote) computer to
your work (or host) computer, follow these steps:

1.

 On your home computer, click Start, point to All Programs, and then point
to Accessories.

2.

 In the Accessories menu, point to Communications, and then click Remote
Desktop Connection.

3.

 In the Computer box, type the computer name of your host computer, which
you wrote down earlier.

4.

 Click Connect.

5.

 When the Log On to Windows dialog box appears, type your user name,
password, and domain (if required), and then click OK.

The Remote Desktop window opens, and you see the desktop settings, files,
and programs that are on your host computer, which in this example is your
work computer. Your host computer remains locked, and nobody can access it
without a password. In addition, no one will be able to see the work you are
doing remotely.

To end your Remote Desktop session:

1.

 Click Start, and then click Log Off at the bottom of the Start menu.

2.

 When prompted, click Log Off.

hope this will help you.

prashant naik