[AI] Latest iPhone Update Boosts Wi-Fi Reception, Users Say

Vikas Kapoor dl.vikas at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 09:29:35 EDT 2007

Latest iPhone Update Boosts Wi-Fi Reception, Users Say
iPhone owners report that the latest software update for their smart device has significantly boosted its wireless reception.
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

heir smart device has significantly boosted its wireless reception.

The s
econd update
 issued this month went live Tuesday via
iTunes
, the usual update mechanism for iPhone owners. Although
Apple Inc.
 only said 1.0.2 included unspecified "bug fixes," owners on several popular message forums, including those on the MacRumors site, have come forward with
claims that the iPhone now connects to wireless access points once written off as out of range. "My wifi reception is definitely better," a user identified
as schulzmc said Tuesday. "While in my office I have never been able to connect to the wifi hub in the conference room down the hall [but after the update]
I was surprised that the Edge connection seemed faster, until I realized I was connected to the wifi hub with two bars. For me, this is a huge issue, as
I was preparing to try to deal with whatever hassle it would take to get the wifi connection extended to my office area."

"Wifi reception and connection is much improved," seconded snowboarder on the same thread Tuesday. "The phone works better. Some places I had problems with
before now work like a charm."

Reports of other changes were more mixed. Some who applied the 3.7MB update, for example, swore that speakerphone volume -- a long-standing issue for users
who complain it's too low -- was boosted by the new software. Others, however, said it was as low as ever.

Problems with the update appeared to be centered on those who had changed, or "modded" their iPhones with unsanctioned hacks to, among other things, let
them add their own ringtones. Applying the 1.0.2 update meant owners of modded iPhones had to restore the device from scratch. That wasn't unexpected,
however, since Apple's 1.0.1 update
did the same thing.

iPhone users can wait out the update interval -- iTunes automatically checks Apple's update servers once a week -- or retrieve 1.0.2 manually by selecting
"Check for Update" under the iTunes Help menu and then docking the iPhone to the PC or Mac.
http://www.computerworld.com/
www.computerworld.comFor more enterprise computing news, visit
Computerworld
. Story copyright © 2007 Computerworld Inc. All rights reserved.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136296-pg,1/article.html

Vikas Kapoor,
MSN Id:dl_vikas at hotmail.com, Yahoo+Skype Id: dl_vikas,
Mobile: (+91) 9891098137.