[AI] Antarchakshu at Malhar 2007

Xavier's Resource Centre for the Visually Challenged, St. Xavier's College xrcvc at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 23 07:19:20 EDT 2007

Dear Friends,

This is to share with all of you, that the XRCVC conducted an awareness
event, “Antarchakshu’ at Malhar 2007", the intercollegiate festival at St.
Xavier’s college. The two day event held on 14th and 15th Aug aimed at
sensitizing participants through a series of simulation exercises and games
on the lives of the visually challenged. The event also carried the ‘Beyond
Sight’ photography exhibition by Mr. Partho Bhowmick displaying photographs
taken by visually challenged persons

The event was a tremendous success this year, with over 550 participants who
gave us really good feedback.

If any of you are interested in having this event being repeated in other
locations do let us know, we have found this to be a very effective way to
create awareness on lives of the visually challenged persons in the sighted
community

There was good media coverage which added more awareness to public with
photographs from the event and many write up in different online and print
newspapers.  Here is one write up which was published in Times of India.

Ref: Times of India, Times City. Page 8
Malhar off to a flyer with song and dance

Sukhada Tatke & Derek Abraham | TNN

Mumbai: Amid thunderous applause and cheer, Malhar-2007 began on the eve of
the 60th year of Independence at St Xavier’s College.Chairperson Arjun Naik
sounded confident about the event’s success. “As always, Malhar is doing
something different,’’ he said. “I hope our new events become hallmarks and
are carried forward.”

   In line with the theme of ‘time’ this year, the Indian performing arts
department organised ‘Aaja Nach Le’, an open air dance competition. It’s
theme was the transition of time, from the good old black and white
Bollywood era to the cinema of colour.

   Performed within a circle, the dancers created a sense of nostalgia with
songs like ‘Paach Rupaiya’ and ‘Aaja Aaja’ gradually moving to the new
‘Kisna Hai’.

   Within the four walls of the classroom upstairs, musiclovers were treated
to ‘Habeas Chorus’, a singing event in which a group was judged sheerly for
its voices without musical notes for company.

   Six teams made it to the final after closely-fought elimination rounds.
With more than one version of the ‘Eye of the Tiger’, it was a majestic
roar. A nervous Jai Hind participant said she and her teammates used to
practise for long hours for this event. “Participation is more than
important,’’ she says. “But, of course, we are here to win.”

   While music was being heard on one floor, another group of participants
took part in the JAM competition called ‘Cacophonix’. Ranging from
objections from slurs to stutters, from time-wasting techniques to fumbling
and pauses, the students were there to get at each other.

   The visually-challenged students of the college organised an event called
‘Antar-Chakshu’. A path was created and the participants were blindfolded
and were given a staff. They were asked to move to the sounds of claps. “We
wanted to show people what a daily life of a visually challenged person
is,’’ says Rahul More, student of FYBA.

   The session ended with the amateur night. “It is only a performing round
and not a competition,’’ said Shruti Raghavendran, FYBA.

   So what are you waiting for? Rock at Malhar.

End of message.

Regards,
Prashant Naik
Training & Development Officer