[AI] What are RSS Feeds

Rajesh Asudani rajeshasudani at rbi.org.in
Wed Aug 22 07:13:12 EDT 2007

Hello Anubha

Hope you are doing fine.

I always read your curious mails, but at times am unable to reply due to
various reasons.

Your keen desire to learn is admirable.

I have been to UP and am aware of hardships a blind girl has to endure even
in day to day life, let alone earn a living.

Your aspiration to stand on your own feet is indeed admirable.

Coming to present query you have raised, RSS gives you a way to keep updated
your knowledge about matters which interest you.

Suppose you are interested in knowing latest items on a site relating to
psychology, you will have to necessarily visit that site, isn't it?

Now, RSS gives you the information about latest on that site, if you have
subscribed to RSS feeds on that site. for this, it is necessary that that
particular site must be offering such RSS feeds. Many sites, nowadays, do
so.

To read that feed, you add that feed into a programme called feed reader
which comes in various names.

One I use is a browser called firefox. In addition to its regular function
of browsing, it has inbuilt feed reading utility.

When you are visiting a site of interest, look for RSS feeds link or so.
then, if you are using firefox, go to RSS feeds link, or  look for  options
in book mark menu.

The procedure may vary from programme to programme.

Once subscribed, you may launch feed reader, firefox in this case, and under
bookmarks menu, or bookmarks folder, you will get a tree view of various
feeds you have subscribed to. It would contain headings, to read story of
interest, you will have to visit page by pressing enter on the heading.

It is a short cut way to keep up-to-date without visiting site and by
spending less time, you can always read details by clicking the heading of
interest.

Hope I have been clear enough in my writing.

Feel free to ask anything which you think I may explain.

Regards

Rajesh