[AI] extra time for examinations.

moiz tundawala moiztundawala at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 04:50:46 EDT 2007

Hello.
Ma'am is right. Do as she has directed. I thought the N.I.O.S.
especially catered to the needs of the disadvantaged. They may be
providing you with the facility. You may also consider using the
computer for examination purposes.
There is a case in which the Bombay High Court allowed a disabled
student as many as three extra hours to complete his paper. The
citation if I remember correctly is AIR 2003 Bom 316.
?The Act of 1995 does not have any specific provision regarding extra
time. But section 27 can be expansively interpreted in the best
interest of disabled students. Moreover, we are entitled to a
dignified human life under Article 21 of the Constitution. The right
to education is also a fundamental right. So, we can take up the
matter if things do not work out by adherence to normal procedures.
What we need is a set of uniform standards applicable throughout the
country. At present, this is is within the respective state's
jurisdiction. The board may also have such policies. I personally
received extra time while appearing for the I.C.S.E. and the
W.B.H.S.C. examinations here in Kolkata
I'm sure that all will be fine.

Best wishes,
Moiz.

BAY115-DAV2B83E02A07E40DE8F7DDBDBD50 at phx.gbl>

Check what is the policy in your state and also check with the Board
conducting the exam.
Kanchan