[AI] Access to net for Visually Challenged

S K snk622000 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 22 02:17:30 EDT 2007

Hi,
  I could open the page giveing details as under (Copy from the page)
          Access to the Net for visually impaired          PTI
Chennai, August 20, 2007
         var zflag_nid="294"; var zflag_cid="1"; var zflag_sid="0"; var zflag_width="180"; var zflag_height="150"; var zflag_sz="13";                An internet centre set up by an NGO in Chennai is virtually a boon for the visually challenged as it has special software that they can use to trawl through cyber space for free.

Thanks to the dedicated efforts of 36-year-old Govind Krishnan, who is partially blind, the organisation Nethrodaya was launched five years ago. “This is the only such centre in the country where they can walk in and browse free of charge,” said Krishnan.

This has been made possible thanks to technology-major Sify, which has provided the centre unlimited access to the Internet. The centre has JAWS (Job access with speech), an audio-based software that allows the visually challenged to use computers at will.

When it is switched on, JAWS reads everything on the screen, including web pages. The software was created with the efforts of the Bill Gates Foundation and Freedom Scientific. The state has given the NGO land at a site about two kms from the current location. “God willing, we hope to construct our own building in a year,” Krishnan said.

  Regards,
  Suhas