[AI] The CD is 25 today

Rajesh Asudani rajeshasudani at rbi.org.in
Fri Aug 17 02:08:13 EDT 2007

Yes, the CD     may be on its way out and audio cassettes may be a thing
unheard of in affluent parlors in a few years from now.

However, even audio cassettes are profoundly useful to  blind students
studying in Indian languages. This, I have personally witnessed here and we
are running a huge audio library and recording centre for marathi/hindi
study and other books.

The affordability and the ease of creation do not go always hand in hand
with all new inventions.

Besides, I do have fond memories to cherish of audio cassettes, the people
who put in their valuable time and efforts without a murmur in lending their
voice to the matter I studied for all these years.

I am by no means opposing progress, but e text and other recordings on MP3
etc. do not have the affordability and above all, ease of creation for an
ordinary blind person. Not at least, for now.

Rajesh