[AI] Amendments to Persons with Disabilities Act discussed

Vikas Kapoor dl.vikas at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 09:55:34 EDT 2007

Amendments to Persons with Disabilities Act discussed
PTI
Tuesday, August 14, 2007  16:21 IST

NEW DELHI: Emphasising on the need to empower disabled persons living in remote areas, Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Meira Kumar
on Tuesday said the ground realities should always be kept in mind while framing legislations in this regard.

"We have to remember that the basic purpose of the whole exercise is to empower persons with disabilities specially those living in remote, inaccessible
and rural areas," Kumar said at a convention discussing amendments needed to be brought into the Persons with Disabilities Act, 1995.

"I would suggest that while making recommendations, we should keep the ground realities in view," she said adding, "special emphasis has to be given to
empower women and children with disabilities.

"We have to bring them into the mainstream of life and improve their quality of life," Kumar added.

The convention, the third in the series, discussed suggestions for amendments to the Act with stakeholders in the northern region.

Earlier, similar meetings had been held in Chennai and Patna.

Most of the suggestions pertained to widening the ambit of the term disabled and incorporating disabilities like dyslexia and autism.

Participants also called for greater accountability in the implementation mechanism of schemes and sought affirmative action by the private sector, Ministry
of Social Justice and Empowerment Veena Chhotray told reporters.

"The amendments would be brought about only after consultation with stakeholders from all parts of the country," Chhotray said.

Apart from this, efforts are also being made to incorporate proposals made in the UN convention on disabled, she said.

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1115584

Vikas Kapoor,
MSN Id:dl_vikas at hotmail.com, Yahoo+Skype Id: dl_vikas,
Mobile: (+91) 9891098137.