[AI] Engineering college for blind in Hyderabad

Vikas Kapoor dl.vikas at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 02:23:05 EDT 2007

Engineering college for blind in Hyderabad 5 Aug 2007, 1035 hrs IST,PTI

  HYDERABAD: In the first experiment of its kind in the country, a charitable organisation here plans to set up an engineering college for the blind with
special software to enable them to pursue studies.

  The Devnar Foundation for the Blind, which runs a reputed school for the less privileged in the city, has applied to BITS, Pilani for affiliation for
the proposed college, said its chairman A Saibaba Goud.

  "We are confident of getting affiliation from them and if we don't, we will approach another institution like the Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University.
But I am 100 per cent confident that our proposal will be accepted by some university or institution," he said.

  Goud said the idea of setting up the college came up when he found that many visually challenged students of Devnar School aspired to "make it big in
life".

  "Blind students are in no way inferior to others. Many of them are very sharp and hard working. In the old days, they would want to be telephone operators
or to get similar jobs," he said.

  "But now they aspire to become software professionals and to be at par with other youngsters in a software hub like Hyderabad."

  Goud cited the example of two students -- Nagababu and Pavan -- who were selected by software giant Wipro.

  Nagababu was recruited by the company after completing his engineering from Vijayawada, while Pavan, though selected by the firm after completing a course
at a polytechnic, chose to pursue engineering instead.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/Engineering_college_for_blind_in_Hyderabad_/rssarticleshow/2256620.cms

Vikas Kapoor,
MSN Id:dl_vikas at hotmail.com, Yahoo+Skype Id: dl_vikas,
Mobile: (+91) 9891098137.