[AI] Fw: Planetary Society of India launches a Braille newsletter on scienceand astronomy to tap potential of VI children

Srinivasu Srinivasu.C at n-syst.com
Wed Jul 25 00:09:47 EDT 2007

Subject
Planetary Society of India launches a Braille newsletter on scienceand
astronomy to tap potential of VI children

> The Hindu, India
> Saturday, July 14, 2007

> Planetary Society of India launches a Braille newsletter on science and
astronomy to tap potential of VI children

> By Andhra Pradesh
>
> Society has prepared sample copies of newsletter
> Plan to distribute them at Govt. School for Blind

> HYDERABAD: In an effort to unlock the untapped potential of
visually-challenged children and to make available Braille literature on
science and astronomy, which are pretty rare to find, city-based Planetary
Society of India (PSI), has launched a Braille newsletter aptly titled
Chandrayaan, India's first unmanned moon mission.

> In association with Government Braille Press of Malakpet and Department
of
Astronomy, Osmania University, the society has already prepared sample
copies of the newsletter and are making efforts to distribute them among
children at Government School for Blind (Girls) Malakpet.

> According to the society members, the newsletter is aimed at inspiring
the
visually-challenged , who are more than capable of using their mental
prowess
to good use. Fittingly, the newsletter has a special chapter on Stephen
Hawking, the celebrated science thinker who despite his physical handicap,
made it big. "It's very easy to publish a newsletter in Braille. However,
it
is impossible these days to find science and astronomy literature that
will
suit the needs of the visually-challenged . Moreover, there is also a dire
need for funding such projects," points out Gangaram, Manager, Government
Braille Press.

> The newsletter also has a full chapter dedicated to the Chandrayaan
project. "It would be a giant leap for Indian space community and it is
quite apt to dedicate a full chapter on Chandrayaan, " says general
secretary
of Planetary Society of India (AP Chapter) N. Raghunandan Kumar.

> Funding

> Members from PSI point out that they are in constant touch with Indian
Space Research Organisation to acquire funding for the project, so that
these newsletters could be taken to other parts of the State. "We feel
that
despite the handicap, if children from an early age are exposed to science
or astronomy, they would definitely become an asset to the society.
However,
the catch here is whether this concept can be sustained for long," Mr.
Kumar
said.

Source:
http://www.hindu.com/2007/07/14/stories/2007071460600400.htm