[AI] information

Prasanna Pincha prasannapincha at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 06:38:00 EDT 2007

hello there!

Just in case you're interested--The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Govt. of IIndia is holding a consultative meeting on the amendments to be made in the existing Pwd Act. The said meeting, I understand, is for the northern and central India; and it is being held in Delhi on the 14th of August next. This will be followed by a similar meeting for the Western zone of the country; but the date for that meeting is yet to be finalised. In case, you are interested, you may like to explore the possibility of getting invited with the concerned ministry. I personally feel that since this act has direct implications on our lives as blind persons, we need  to actively participate and significantly contribute to the exercise; and for this, to my mind, it would be expedient if we do our homework well. Here, we can only ill afford to lose sight of the fact that any amendments in the said Act will have to be in consonance with the UN Convention on the rights of persons with disabilities.

In the meantime, The disability rights group led by Javed Abedi is also organising a national level meet on the said Convention in Delhi on the 27th and 28th instant. You may like to contact him for further information on this.

Cheer up!

Warmly,

Prasanna Kumar Pincha.