[AI] Job vacancy at XRCVC, Mumbai for Mobility and Braille trainer

Prasanna Pincha prasannapincha at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 05:34:21 EDT 2007

Dear Sam!

It feels great to get to read your mail and also to get some glimpses of the
fascinating work and effort which you and your team are putting in.

Incidentally, this mail of yours also gives me an opportunity to renew my
contact with the members of this spirited group. I am Prasanna Kumar Pincha.
I am currently working with ActionAid India as a senior manager/theme leader
on the UN Convention on the rights of persons with disabilities. I have
taken up this assignment only recently. Prior to this, I was working as the
Regional Manager, ActionAid, for the northeastern region and was based in
Guwahati. I have since relocated myself to Delhi following assumption of my
current assignment.

I also happen to be the  former joint-director, social welfare dept. Govt.
of Assam, and the founder Principal of the Govt. Jorhat Blind Institution.

My chemistry is that of an activist's. I was profoundly influenced by the
perspectives of two blind leading activists, namely, Dr. Jacobus Tenbrook
and Dr. Kenneth Jernigan, both past presidents of the NFB of USA. I feel
that the movement which got under way under the tutelage of these leaders in
the United States of America is  the strongest and the most vibrant self
advocacy movement of the blind.

Be that as it may, I feel, you will feel favourably disposed towards the
idea of deliberating on the recently adopted Convention I referred to above.
To my humble way of thinking, this Convention arms us with a powerful
bargaining tool for negotiating with the state as well as with the civil
society in respect of our human rights and foundamental freedoms. One
significant implication of this convention is that the indian laws, both
disability specific legislations as well as general legislations will now
have to be amended since India is a signatory to this international treaty,
and since the union cabinet of India is understood to have given its
clearance for the ratification of the said Convention.

Kindly get it clear that I am not veryy good at the computer and always
struggle with it. Now however, I am trying to convert this struggle into a
play. Isn't that a good idea? So, please ignore my formating or any other
error. Also please take no umbrage at the delay in responding.

Yes, I happen to be blind since my birth, and thriving at 55.

love and regards,

Prasanna Kumar Pincha.