[AI] Visual Verification: Petition Asks Yahoo to Tear Down "No Blind People Allowed" Sign

ashish ashishrohtagi1969 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 09:10:33 EDT 2007

Subject: Visual Verification: Petition Asks Yahoo to Tear Down "No Blind People Allowed" Sign

We ask all of you to review and sign the Yahoo's Accessibility Improvement Petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/yabvipma/petition.html asking the company to make an audio alternative to its CAPTCHA available so that the blind and visually impaired will be permitted timely access to the same services as those already granted the sighted. The use of a telephone callback scheme is totally insufficient as it does not grant the same level of instant access as the sighted and Yahoo personnel
do not consistently make contact in a timely manner. It is our ongoing contention that visual only CAPTCHA schemes without at least an accessible audio
alternative represent "No Blind People Allowed" signs in much the same way as African-Americans were deliberately denied entry to restaurants and other
similar public accomodations in the era of segregation. We ask Yahoo to simply fix their grievous error by promptly adding an audio CAPTCHA to all its
properties as soon as possible as part of the company's ongoing accessibility initiatives.

Darrell Shandrow - Accessibility Evangelist