[AI] Woman against the odds

rajesh asudani rajeshasudani at rbi.org.in
Tue May 29 12:04:15 CDT 2007

Woman against the odds

Triple amputee to graduate from UCLA medical school

LOS ANGELES: A woman who lost both legs and an arm as a child is poised to become a doctor for children.

Kellie Lim, who became a triple amputee at age eight because of bacterial meningitis, is to graduate from the University of California Los Angeles medical
school on Friday, and she plans to focus on childhood allergies and infectious disease.

The 26-year-old native of Michigan does not use a prosthetic arm and manages to perform most medical procedures - including giving injections and taking
blood - with one arm. She walks on a pair of prosthetic legs.

"Just having that experience of being someone so sick and how devastating that can be - not just for me but for my family too - gives me a perspective that
other people don't necessarily have."

Raised by a visually challenged mother, Ms. Lim went through years of wheelchairs and painful therapy after toxic shock from the meningitis claimed her
limbs and three fingertips on her remaining hand.

Ms. Lim recently saw her childhood medical file, and learned that doctors had given her an 85 per cent chance of dying of the meningitis.

"I hate failing," she said. "It's one of those things that's so ingrained in me." - AP