[AI] database of educational books

pamnani kanchanpamnani at hotmail.com
Thu May 17 12:29:09 CDT 2007

I agree with you Rajesh that we should not be rigid and I myself advocate a
course of action which is that the use by the print disabled is a fair use
and therefore exempt under the Copyright. Act. I had this discussion with
the Book share people and Prof. Vinod Sena and the Intellectual Property
Rights Practitioners association.
Every one agrees that we could claim the fair use or fair dealing exemption
however everyone feels that unless the special exemption is available in the
law,we are not going to get our way.
Lobbying is on and pressure is being built up but we are not votes
thereforeit will happen in due course.
Must mentionthat Sam and his colleagues at XRCVC are monitoring the
situation on a daily basis andare mobilising decision makers.
On the second issue it is evry copyright holders decision to get the benefit
of the copyright or to let it go. NCERT and others have chosen to let it go.
Therefore there material is in public domain and open to reproductionetc.
Will be away for a week and wont be able to respond to any comments on this
thread.
Kanchan