[AI] scholorship

firoz pathan firojjee at gawab.com
Wed May 16 22:48:27 CDT 2007

For Blind Foreign Students, Some Aid Available in US

Part 36 of our Foreign Student Series: a listener in Nigeria asks if
visually impaired foreign students can get a full scholarship as an
undergraduate.

This is the VOA Special English Education Report.

A listener in Nigeria has a question about financial aid for blind and
visually impaired college students in America. S.A. Ogunlowo in Ile-Ife
wants to
know if visually impaired foreign students can get a full scholarship as an
undergraduate.

Tim Cordes, who is blind, graduated near the top of his medical school class
at the University of Wisconisn-Madison in 2004
In 2004, Tim Cordes, who is blind, graduated near the top of his medical
school class at the University of Wisconisn-Madison

Financial aid programs in the United States, especially at the undergraduate
level, do often require American citizenship. At the same time, scholarships
often pay only part of the cost of an education. The National Federation of
the Blind advises students to contact any school they wish to attend to ask
about financial aid.

The federation is the country's largest group for the blind. Each year it
awards scholarships that do not have any citizenship requirements. Students
must
be legally blind. And foreign students cannot apply until a college in the
United States has already accepted them.

The application deadline was March thirty-first for thirty scholarships
offered for this fall. Most are three thousand dollars. The highest is
twelve thousand
dollars.

The United States has an estimated one million blind adults. The federation
says there are no special colleges or universities for the blind. But
schools
do offer special services and technology to help students with disabilities.

And that's the VOA Special English Education Report, written by Nancy
Steinbach. More information about the scholarships from the National
Federation of
the Blind can be found at its Web site: n-f-b dot o-r-g (nfb.org). This was
week number thirty-six in our series for students interested in coming to
the
United States for higher education. If you missed any of our reports, you
can find our Foreign Student Series online at voaspecialenglish.com. And if
you
have a question, send it to
special at voanews.com
. Please include your name and country. I'm Steve Ember.