[AI] Dell to introduce low cost PCs

Vikas Kapoor dl.vikas at gmail.com
Thu May 10 09:06:13 CDT 2007

Dell to introduce low cost PCs

May       10, 2007 17:56 IST

Dell is in the process of launching low cost personal computer at about 238 dollar (Rs 10,000) across the world, including India.

"We are testing the product in China. The PC would be customised according to the market and customer needs," Dell India General Manager (Sales) Sameer
Garde said on the sidelines of company's product launch. However, he refused to give the exact time frame for the launch of such PCs and said, "as soon
as we are over with the testing and we clear the hurdles, we will make an announcement."

The company unveiled on Thursday three new laptops for the Indian market in the price range of about Rs 52,000-64,000.

"The new products will have longer battery life, increased connectivity and performance," he added. Dell is looking at alternate models, including greater
focus on consumer segment, low-cost computers and machines suited to India conditions.

The company's CEO Michael Dell during his visit in India during March had said, "We will look at broader opportunities ... sure we will look at low-cost
personal computers," Dell said when asked whether the company will look to address lower end of the segment.

Dell's revenues in India grew 70 per cent year-on-year previous year to $500 million and the company is rapidly closing towards $1 billion, he said.

http://www.rediff.com/money/2007/may/10dell.htm

Vikas Kapoor,
MSN ID:
dl_vikas at hotmail.com